Greek Yogurt Peppermint Bark is a layered yogurt bark with a bottom layer of chocolate, greek yogurt, vanilla extract and peppermint candy pieces. Greek Yogurt Peppermint Bark is the perfect 4-ingredient treat to celebrate the holiday season You can make a batch start to finish in about 2 hours with only about 10 minutes of active time. It is a delicious blend of semisweet. milk, or dark chocolate, greek yogurt, and peppermint.
Sponsored by Florida Milk.
We love all things dairy. Which is why we love partnering with Florida Milk.
Greek Yogurt Peppermint Bark
I love the combination of chocolate and peppermint. This Greek Yogurt Peppermint Bark is a healthy twist on Peppermint Bark. Here are some of my other favorite peppermint treats:
What is Peppermint Bark?
Traditionally, Peppermint bark is a holiday dessert with two types of chocolate and peppermint candy pieces.
What is Greek Yogurt Peppermint Bark?
Greek yogurt peppermint bark is a healthy twist on peppermint bark. It has the same bottom layer of chocolate and then the white chocolate is replaced with yogurt and topped with candy cane pieces.
Why You Will Love this Recipe
Greek Yogurt Peppermint Bark is so easy to make and it has the delicious peppermint and chocolate flavor. .
- 1 cup of milk or dark chocolate
- 2 cups of vanilla greek yogurt
- 3 candy canes
- Optional - ¼ teaspoon of peppermint extract
Do I need to use the peppermint extract?
We have made it both ways and you don't have to use it. The candy canes give the yogurt bark the peppermint flavor.
Video: How to Make Greek Yogurt Peppermint Bark
How to Make Greek Yogurt Peppermint Bark
Step 1: Line a 9x13 cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Step 2: Melt the dark or milk chocolate. I prefer to use a double boiler, but you can use the microwave as well. Once the chocolate is melted pour it onto the parchment paper and smooth it out. Set aside to harden in the refrigerator or freezer.
Step 3: While the milk/dark chocolate is hardening, crush up your candy canes or peppermints for your toppings. Add the peppermint extract to the yogurt and mix if you want extra peppermint flavor .
Step 3: Once the chocolate is hardened, add the yogurt on top of the chocolate layer and spread in an even layer.
Step 4: Sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top of the yogurt layer. Place into the freezer for at least two hours.
Step 5: Break or cut the bark into pieces.
You can sub out the type of chocolate for the bottom layer. I like to use dark chocolate the best, but milk or semi sweet chocolate works well too. You can also use chocolate chips, chocolate disks or a bar of chocolate cut up.
For the crushed peppermint candy you can use candy canes, peppermint round candies or you can buy peppermint candy already crushed here.
I like to use vanilla yogurt, but you can also use plain and add in vanilla extract.
The peppermint extract is optional and make sure to not add too much. A little goes a long way.
- Extra Chocolate – try using chocolate peppermint candy canes for extra chocolate flavor.
- Chocolate Almond – Use almond extract instead of the peppermint extract. Then add chopped toasted almonds to the top instead of peppermint candy.
- Cranberry Bliss Bars – Use white chocolate as the base layer then cranberries on top of the yogurt
- Raspberry Chocolate Bars - Switch out the vanilla yogurt for raspberry yogurt. Then top with chocolate chips.
- Yogurt Bar – These strawberry vanilla yogurt bark are delicious. Or these Spooky yogurt bars.
You need a cookie sheet with parchment paper. The other equipment needed depends on how you want to melt your chocolate. If you want to melt it in the microwave you just need a microwave safe bowl. I like to melt it in a double boiler. You will need an oven, pot and a metal or glass bowl that fits just over the pot.
Tips for Making Greek Yogurt Peppermint Bark
- Make sure the bottom layer of chocolate is totally set and firm before you add the top layer of yogurt. This will help to keep the colors from combining.
- Make sure to put the peppermints on before the yogurt dries so that they do not fall off when you are eating them.
Crushed Peppermint Candy for Baking
The peppermint flavor comes from both the peppermint extract and the crushed peppermint candy for baking. They add a great flavor and a crunch to this peppermint bark.
What is the Best Way to Crush Peppermint Candy
Place candy canes or your peppermint candies in a large resealable plastic bag. Push the air out of the plastic bag and close it. Break the peppermint candy up with anything that is heavy. You can use a potato masher, a rolling pin, heavy skillet, or a meat mallet. Continue doing this until they are crushed.
You can also crush peppermint candy in your food processor. Just use the pulsing action setting and turn it on/off until they are crushed.
Or you can buy it already crushed.
How do I melt chocolate?
You have a couple options for this:
- Microwave: Place the chocolate chips or baking pieces in a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave the chocolate on low in increments of 30 seconds. This is important because you do not want to over cook the chocolate. If you do there is no going back. Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir after each 30 seconds.
- Stovetop: After a lot of trial and error my favorite way to melt chocolate chips is using a double boiler on the stovetop. When I first learned about a double boiler I was really intimidated. Don't worry it is actually really simple to make and use. Simply find a bowl you can use glass or metal that fit just on top of your pot. The first step is to bring the pot to boil. Then place the bowl on top of the pot. The steam coming off the pot will melt the chocolate. Just make sure you do not get water into the bowl. This will also mess up your chocolate and you will have to start over.
How long does peppermint bark take to set?
Once you pour over the melted chocolates onto a parchment-lined baking sheet you can let it set three different ways.
- Harden at air temperature for about an hour
- Refrigerate the bark for 20 minutes
- Freeze the bark for about 10 minutes.
Once the bark has dried you can break it apart with your hands or for a cleaner look you can use a sharp knife. I recommend dipping the knife into hot water and drying it before cutting it.
Storing Greek Yogurt Peppermint Bark
- Once you have broken the bark into large pieces you start to think how to store peppermint bark.
- Wrap each piece of bark in wax paper. Finally tightly wrap it in plastic wrap.
- Then place the wrapped bark in an airtight container
- Store it in the freezer for up to two weeks.
Greek Yogurt Peppermint Bark Recipe
Greek Yogurt Peppermint Bark
- Cookie sheet
- Parchment paper
- Microwave safe bowl or double boiler
- - 1 cup milk or dark chocolate
- - 2 cups vanilla greek yogurt
- - 3 candy canes
- - ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- Line a 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Melt the dark or milk chocolate. I prefer to use a double boiler, but you can use the microwave as well. Once the chocolate is melted pour it onto the parchment paper and smooth it out. Set aside to harden, until firm. Which is about an hour at room temperature. Or a refrigerator for 20 minutes or freezer for 10 minutes.
- While the milk/dark chocolate is hardening, crush up your candy canes or peppermints for your toppings. Add peppermint extract to the yogurt.
- Once the chocolate is hardened, pour the yogurt on top of the other layer and spread in an even layer.
- Sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top of the white chocolate layer. Place in the freezer until firm, which is about 2 hours.
- Break or cut the bark into pieces!
Do you have a favorite holiday treat?