Slow cooker chicken and dumplings is a crowd pleaser. This simple recipe for Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings with Canned Biscuits is as easy as adding all your ingredients into the crockpot and waiting for dinner to be ready. To make it the perfect fall recipe we added sweet potatoes to it. This recipe doesn’t disappoint! This recipe is also known as crockpot chicken and dumpling soup.
As you know our family loves all things dairy as well as our partnership with Florida Milk. The key to making this recipe very creamy is a combination of Cream of Chicken soup and whole milk. Want to see more recipes with dairy check out these.
While the weather may not feel like Fall in South Florida, we still love a warm soup for dinner to get us in the spirit for the season. Don’t forget to watch the recipe video below!
Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
How do you make chicken & dumplings in a slow cooker?
This recipe is broken down into two parts: cooking chicken and cooking biscuits. First, you lay boneless skinless chicken breasts over a bed of onion in your slow cooker, then season the chicken with salt and pepper, then pour cream of chicken soup , milk and chicken broth on top. Once the chicken is cooked, it’s time to add the vegetables and biscuits. That’s it.
This easy crockpot chicken and dumplings recipe is so simple. We even use canned soup and biscuit dough for the dumplings so there is no need to make them from scratch.
How to make crockpot chicken dumplings:
Looking for an easy week day meal this recipe is so easy you can set it up and have a hot meal ready when you are.
- The first step is to chop your veggies including your onions, carrots and sweet potatoes.
- Then you place your onions at the bottom of your crockpot. Place your chicken on top of the onions. And top the chicken with your spices.
- After you have spiced the chicken you will add the soup, milk, broth and sweet potatoes over chicken. Add thyme and bay leaf. Cover and cook on High until the chicken is cooked through, about 3 hours.
- Remove the thyme and bay leaf, shred chicken using two forks.
- Then add in celery, carrots, and garlic. Cut the biscuits into bite-sized pieces. Mix the biscuits into the chicken mixture. You want the biscuits to be covered with the liquid.
- Cook on High until vegetables are tender and biscuits are cooked thoroughly roughly about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Some slow cookers work differently so it may take longer. It works best when you stir the chicken mixture every 30 minutes.
Video: Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
Recipe for Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings with Sweet Potatoess
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 can cream of chicken soup 10.5-oz. can
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes chopped
- 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- ground black pepper
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 16.3-oz. can refrigerated biscuits
- Chop all your vegetables. Add your chopped onions in the bottom of your crockpot. Then add the raw chicken breast on top of your onions. Season with oregano, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Pour soup, milk broth over chicken, then add thyme and bay leaf. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or until chicken if fully cooked.
- Discard the thyme and bay leaf. Remove the chicken breast and place on a hard surface. Shred chicken with two forks until it is all shredded. Add in carrots, sweet potatoes, and garlic. Cut biscuits into small bite-sized pieces. Stir into chicken mixture. Spoon liquid over any biscuits.
- Cook on High until vegetables are tender and biscuits are cooked through, stirring every 30 minutes, about 1 hour to 1 hour 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Tips for Making Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings with Canned Biscuits
How Long Do Dumplings Take in the Slow Cooker?
You add the dumplings an hour and a half before you are ready to serve it.
Can you just put raw chicken in the slow cooker?
Yes, you can put the raw chicken directly into your slow cooker. We use chicken breast because that is the type of chicken I always buy. If your family prefers dark meat you could use chicken thights.
How long does chicken take in the crockpot?
The chicken takes about 3 hours cooking on high. I also cut into my chicken to make sure it does not have any pink inside.
Why are my chicken and dumplings mushy?
If your chicken and dumplings are mushy it may be because your liquid was not hot enough when you added them. The liquid needs to be hot so that your dumplings cook. If you drop the dumplings into the crockpot the liquid should be simmering so that it breaks up the dumplings. The dough will soak up the liquid and could become too soft and mushy because they are uncooked.
Is chicken and dumplings supposed to be thick or soupy?
The combination of creamy soup and milk should keep your dish thick. If you are struggling with the consistency you can add extra flour to the outside of the biscuits. This will help thicken up the dish.
How do you thicken chicken dumplings?
If you want to thicken the base of your chicken and soup, do it before you put into your soup. Whip in 2 – 3 teaspoons cornstarch into your milk.
Can I overcook dumplings?
You will want to keep your crockpot at a gentle simmer after you add the biscuits. It is best for the dumplings. And it should help them not overcook.
How long do frozen dumplings take in a slow cooker?
We used store bought biscuits so our dumplings are in the refrigerator. If you have frozen ones you can certainly use them too. If you do, they should take 6 to 10 minutes to cook in the slow cooker.
How do I keep chicken from drying out in the crockpot?
To prevent chicken from drying out there are two things to do. 1. Change the type of chicken you use. Chicken thighs have more fat and won’t dry out as quickly. 2. The length of time you cook the chicken impacts how dry the chicken is. You can cook thighs for about six hours and breasts for a maximum of five hours on low heat to prevent them from drying out.
Why does this recipe use cream of chicken soup?
Is there anything better than the creamy texture and savory flavor of cream of chicken soup? We don’t think so. You can absolutely make your own copycat recipe from scratch. But with two kids I opt for the convenience of a canned soup.
How do the biscuits cook in the slow cooker?
These biscuits are easy to make with the use of a slow cooker for cooking in the crock pot. Cooking on high for 60-90 minutes or low for 2 or 3 hours. You can slice your biscuits using a knife or a pizza cutter. Can I use dumpling dough from scratch?
Absolutely! We use refrigerated canned biscuits here for convenience, but we can only imagine what this recipe would taste like with our perfect flaky biscuits.
What do you serve it with?
Chicken and dumplings can easily be cooked in a crockpot for a rich and hearty dinner. You can serve it as part of your favorite veggie side like asparagus or green beans. Can you freeze it?
How long does it keep?
If you have leftovers you should keep them well wrapped in a refrigerator for about three days.
Can you freeze it?
Freeze the dish alone in an airtight container. It should last for about 6 months. When you are ready to freeze it, let it cool overnight in the refrigerator. Pin for Later: Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
More crockpot recipes to try: