Are you a morning person? I recently saw a meme that I totally related to. It said the early bird may get the worm, but worms are gross. This is totally me. Starting as early as high school I have tried to become a morning person. My dad and I used to run before school and I struggled to get out of bed every time for 4 years. 25 years later I am finally allowing myself to be a night owl.
At the start of the school year, I try to be helpful with the morning routine. But around Thanksgiving, the morning grind hits me and it hits me hard. So, my poor husband is left alone in the morning getting breakfast together, packing lunches and trying to get both his girls out of bed.
I know it sounds easy to just get out of bed and help, but it is not. Some days, I barely get to the kitchen before it is time for them to leave for work and school. These slow mornings are one of the reasons I love working for myself.
As I shared earlier my word for the year is gratitude. So, instead of fighting my inability to get out of bed in the morning I thought I could do the next best thing…prep breakfast the night. Last fall when the time changed I first made Blueberry Overnight Oats for the first time. They were such a hit, I knew it was time to make them in our favorite flavor combination: chocolate and peanut butter. What a fun way to ring on the new year.
Our family are milk lovers. We go through 2-3 gallons of milk a week. We love Horizon® Organic Milk from our local Safeway. We experimented with different recipes and found that you can make this recipe with Horizon® Organic Protein Milk in the Chocolate Protein Milk. The chocolate protein milk has the perfect sweet chocolate taste. If you cannot find the chocolate kind, you just need cocoa powder.
As a mom I am always trying to make sure that my family has enough protein in their diet. This NEW Organic High Protein Milk has 12g protein in every serving which makes me happy.
Now is a great time to stock up on Horizon Milk; click here to get details about coupons or download the Safeway app to search for the coupons.
The ingredients for Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats are simple. All you need is Horizon Organic Protein Milk, chia seeds, yogurt, peanut butter, coco powder (not needed if you use the Chocolate Protein Milk) and vanilla extract. When I first started making overnight oats, I was excited that I had everything I needed in my kitchen except for the chia seeds. After a quick trip to Safeway, I had those covered as well. The good news with chia seeds is you only need a small amount for each batch, so they last you a long time.
Simple Swaps for Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- Lower in sugar: Use Horizon Organic Milk in Original flavor, use unsweetened peanut butter, and add 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder and sweetener or a 1/2 mashed ripe banana.
- Gluten-free: Swap out rolled outs for gluten-free oats. I have been gluten free for about 4 months and I love how the gluten-free oats allow you to take so many recipes and easily make them gluten free.
How to Make Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
I think one of the things I love the most about making these is that the hardest part is measuring out the ingredients. All you need to do is mix everything together, place a top on the mixture, and refrigerate overnight. I like to make enough for three days’ worth at a time.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 up rolled oats
- 1/3 cup Horizon® Protein Milk
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 Tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 packet sweetener you can use 1 Tablespoon of white granulated sugar instead
- mini chocolate chips optional
- In a microwaveable bowl or mug, combine the peanut butter, vanilla extract, and salt. Microwave for 30 seconds in 10 seconds increments stirring every 10 seconds.
- In the same bowl add in the yogurt, Horizon® Protein Milk, oats, cocoa powder, and sweetener. Stir until the peanut butter is fully combined.
- Put the mixture into an airtight container and place into the refrigerator.
- Leave the mixture in the refrigerator at least for 2 hours, ideally overnight.
- In the morning you can open and enjoy. Or you can add toppings like heated peanut butter or mini chocolate chips.
Pin for Later: Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats