Want to see a Manatee in West Palm Beach, FL? Get all my tips and tricks of where to see manatees in West Palm Beach at Manatee Lagoon. I will share all about FL Manatee Festival, the FPL Manatee Lagoon Webcam, and wedding options at Manatee Lagoon. And questions like when is manatee season?
Have you ever seen a manatee? They are icons of Florida and sometimes called sea cows. They are big marine mammals that live the coastal waterways of Florida.
On average weigh up to 1,000 pounds and can be up to 10 feet long. They are herbivores that feed on seagrass and algae. They are truly gentle giants. They are easy to see because they have to come to the surface for air. They move slow and can be hit by boaters.
Where to See Manatees in West Palm Beach
In South Florida we are lucky to get to see manatees often. Growing up on the water I have been blessed to see them off our dock and while on the boat. But, don't worry you don't have to hit the water for the best viewing of them.
Manatee Lagoon - Florida Power and Light Manatee Viewing
Our favorite place to see manatees is at Manatee Lagoon in West Palm Beach.
This FPL Eco-Discovery Center is free to explore. Their mission is to enhance environmental education and stewardship. Even during the off season it is a great place to visit because they have views of Peanut Island. You can watch the boats go by and see tropical fish.
Manatee Lagoon offers Lagoonside Chats with their Manatee Masters on the first-floor observation deck. On select days of the week, you can join the Manatee Masters for a morning Waterfront Walk to learn about the Lake Worth Lagoon ecosystem.
Other unique offerings on their schedule include outdoor yoga classes and Manatee Tales Story Time for the kids. There’s also a new augmented reality solar exhibit, where guests can use their smartphone to interact with Sunny the Solar Tree and learn about clean-energy initiatives.
Video from Manatee Lagoon - Florida Power and Light Manatee Viewing
Riviera Beach Energy Center
Manatees congregate at the Riviera Beach Next Generation Clean Energy Center every winter where the clean, warm water outflows of the power plant meet Lake Worth Lagoon. Manatee Lagoon opened in February 2016.
When is Manatee Season
Florida manatees follow an annual migratory route that leads them to areas of Florida where they warm themselves during the winter months. The manatees come to Florida coasts in search of warmer inland water. So, manatee season in Florida is November 15th to March 31st.
Tips for Seeing a Manatee in West Palm Beach
Here are our tips after our recent trip to Manatee Lagoon.
- Go on a chilly day. The manatees are attracted to Manatee Lagoon because the power plant next door puts out warm water. They come to warm up on chilly days. They learn about this location from their moms.
- Bundle up. The wind is really chilly on a cold day coming off the water.
- Go first thing in the morning for the best chance to see the most manatees when it is coolest and lower crowds of people.
- Head upstairs for the best view of the manatees. You can see their from the first floor but you see them even better from the top deck.
- Pack a lunch or a snack. They have picnic tables right along the water and under the FPL solar panels.
- Spend time inside learning more about the manatees and the Florida ecosystem. They also offer Manatee talks outside.
- Find a staff member to ask any questions they are super knowledgeable
- Check out the gift shop and enjoy an ice cream.
- Check out the FPL solar panels and solar trees. They are a great way to teach kids about different types of energy.
The Florida manatee is part of the West Indian manatee subspecies. Because they are a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act they are protected under the Marine Mammal Protection Act. You cannot touch, feed or harm a manatee. If you do you could face up to $100,000 fine.
FPL Manatee Lagoon Webcam
Cannot make it to West Palm Beach to see the manatees or want to make sure there are there today? No worries you can check out the FPL Manatee Lagoon Webcam here. They have an underwater and an above water camera.
Manatee Lagoon Wedding
Manatee Lagoon features a Key West-architecturally styled structure situated along the Intracoastal Waterway in Palm Beach County. Making it an ideal location for a wedding or event.
FL Manatee Festival
Looking for more ways to support the manatees. Come and check out ManateeFest on March 26, 2022 @ 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
WHERE:6000 N. Flagler Drive, West Palm Beach, FL 33407
Come visit the Save the Manatee Club booth at ManateeFest 2022 at Manatee Lagoon in West Palm Beach to learn more about manatees, pick up educational material and gifts, and Adopt-A-Manatee®.
Want to see other marine animals in South Florida? Check out Gumbo Limbo for Sea Turtles