Looking for things to do in Jacksonville, FL, with kids? Check out our comprehensive guide for family-friendly activities in this vibrant city. From outdoor adventures to cultural experiences, you'll find plenty of fun things to do with your little ones in Jacksonville. Make sure to make unforgettable memories with your family.
If you have a chance. to visit Jacksonville at Christmas time, we highly recommend it. Check out these Christmas Events in Jacksonville.
If you want to spend a fun and educational day in Jacksonville, Florida, look no further than the Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens. This popular attraction is home to over 2,000 animals and 1,000 plant species, making it a must-visit destination for nature enthusiasts and families. The Zoo is fun for kids of all ages.
- Animal Exhibits: The Zoo is divided into themed areas, each featuring animals from different parts of the world. You can see everything from exotic animals like African elephants and tigers to South American jaguars and Australian koalas.
- Gardens: Besides its animal exhibits, the Zoo also boasts several beautiful parks that showcase different plant species worldwide. You can explore a Japanese garden, a butterfly garden, and a tropical rainforest garden, among others.
- Interactive Experiences: For an extra-special experience, consider signing up for one of the Zoo's many interactive programs. You can feed a giraffe, take a behind-the-scenes tour, or even spend the night at the Zoo as part of a camping adventure.
- Events: Throughout the year, the Jacksonville Zoo hosts various special occasions, such as animal feedings, holiday celebrations, and live music performances. Check the Zoo's calendar to see what's coming up during your visit.
The Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens is a fantastic attraction that offers something for everyone. Whether you're interested in animals, plants, or quality family time, the Zoo will surely deliver. By following these tips for optimizing your search, you'll be sure to find all the information you need to plan your visit.
Museum of Science and History (MOSH)
The Museum of Science and History (MOSH) is a popular destination for science enthusiasts, students, and families.
Located in Jacksonville, Florida, the MOSH is home to over 12,000 square feet of exhibits that explore a wide range of scientific disciplines, from biology to physics and beyond. You can expect to see and do the following at the Museum of Science and History:
- Exhibits: The museum features a variety of interactive exhibits. They allow visitors to explore different aspects of science and history. You can learn about Florida's natural habitats, explore the human body's mysteries, and even experience the thrill of flight in the museum's aviation exhibit.
- Planetarium: The MOSH's planetarium offers a unique and immersive experience, allowing visitors to explore the universe's wonders through stunning visuals and interactive displays.
- Live Presentations: The museum hosts a variety of live presentations by science educators and experts. These interactive talks allow visitors to engage with the latest scientific research and discoveries.
- Special Events: Throughout the year, the MOSH hosts various special events, such as science festivals, holiday celebrations, and summer camps. Check the museum's calendar to see what's coming up during your visit.
The Museum of Science and History is a fantastic destination for anyone interested in science and history. It is a great children's museum.
Jacksonville Beach or JAX Beach
It is a beautiful coastal city located in the northeast corner of Florida. Jacksonville Beach is known for its pristine beaches, warm weather, and relaxed atmosphere; it's a popular destination for tourists and locals alike. The top things you can expect to see and do at Jacksonville Beach include:
- Beaches: The main attraction of Jacksonville Beach is its beautiful beaches, stretching for miles along the Atlantic coast. Visitors can enjoy swimming, surfing, sunbathing, beach volleyball, fishing, and boating in the nearby Intracoastal Waterway.
- Restaurants and Bars: Jacksonville Beach offers a variety of dining and nightlife options, from seafood restaurants to trendy bars and cafes. Visitors can enjoy fresh seafood, craft cocktails, and live music in the vibrant beachside atmosphere.
- Outdoor Activities: In addition to the beach, Jacksonville Beach has lots of outdoor activities, such as golfing, biking, and hiking. We highly recommend renting biking and chairs from Beach Life Rentals. They also have many parks and nature preserves, allowing visitors to explore the local flora and fauna.
- Festivals and Events: Throughout the year, Jacksonville Beach hosts various festivals and events, such as the Blues Festival, the Springing the Blues Festival, and the Beaches Oktoberfest. These events allow visitors to enjoy live music, local food and drink, and other entertainment.
Jacksonville Beach is a fantastic destination for anyone looking to enjoy the Florida coast. Suppose you want to relax on the beach, enjoy local cuisine, or explore the great outdoors. In that case, Jacksonville Beach has something for everyone. By following these tips for optimizing your search, you'll be sure to find all the information you need to plan your visit.
Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens
The Cummer Museum is a popular attraction in Jacksonville, Florida. With over 5,000 artworks spanning over eight centuries, the museum is a must-see for anyone interested in art and history.
Be can expect to see and do at the Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens:
- Art Collections: The museum's collection spans many cultures and periods, including European, American, and Asian art. Visitors can explore works from the Renaissance to contemporary art, including paintings, sculptures, and decorative arts.
- Gardens: The museum is also home to beautifully landscaped gardens, which offer visitors a peaceful retreat from the city. The gardens feature a variety of plants and flowers, including camellias, azaleas, and magnolias, as well as a reflecting pool and fountains.
- Education Programs: The museum offers educational programs. These programs are designed to enhance visitors' appreciation of the arts and help them better understand the works on display. They include art classes, workshops, and lectures.
- Events: Throughout the year, the museum hosts events, such as concerts, lectures, and art fairs. These events allow visitors to interact with the arts community and learn more about the museum's collections.
The Cummer Museum is a destination for anyone interested in art and history. Whether you're looking to explore the museum's extensive art collection, relax in the beautiful gardens, or attend an educational program, the Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens has something for everyone.
Downtown Jacksonville is the heart of the city and one of the most vibrant areas in Florida. With its mix of historic architecture, cultural attractions, and a thriving business district, downtown Jacksonville has something to offer for everyone. Here are some things you can see and do in downtown Jacksonville:
- Art and Culture: Downtown Jacksonville is home to several world-class cultural institutions, including the Museum of Contemporary Art Jacksonville and the Florida Theatre. Visitors can also explore the historic Hemming Park and Jacksonville Landing, which hosts a variety of concerts and events throughout the year.
- Dining and Nightlife: Downtown Jacksonville is known for its diverse dining scene, offering everything from casual cafes to fine dining restaurants. The area also has a bustling nightlife scene, with bars, nightclubs, and live music venues.
- Sports: Downtown Jacksonville is home to TIAA Bank Field, the stadium that hosts the Jacksonville Jaguars NFL team. The stadium is also a popular venue for concerts and other events.
- Riverfront: The St. Johns River flows through downtown Jacksonville, providing a picturesque backdrop for visitors to enjoy. The Riverwalk offers a scenic path for walking, running, or biking. There are several riverfront parks where visitors can relax and enjoy the views.
Downtown Jacksonville is a must-visit destination for anyone looking to experience this beautiful city's vibrant culture and history. Whether you're looking to explore the cultural institutions, dine at the best restaurants, or take in the scenic riverfront, downtown Jacksonville has something for everyone.
Catty Shack Ranch Wildlife Sanctuary
It is one of Jacksonville's hidden gems. It is a non-profit organization. They are dedicated to providing a safe haven for big cats, such as tigers, lions, cougars, and bobcats, who have been abandoned, abused, or neglected. Visitors to the sanctuary can learn about these magnificent animals while supporting their care and rehabilitation.
Here are some things you can see and do at Catty Shack Ranch Wildlife Sanctuary:
- Big Cat Feeding: Visitors can watch as the cats at the sanctuary are fed during their feeding times. This up-close and personal experience allows you to see these animals in action and learn more about their eating habits.
- Guided Tours: The sanctuary offers guided tours that provide insight into the daily operations of the facility, as well as information about the history and behavior of the big cats.
- Special Events: Catty Shack Ranch Wildlife Sanctuary hosts several special events throughout the year, including holiday celebrations, fundraisers, and other educational programs.
- Volunteer Opportunities: Visitors can also get involved by volunteering at the sanctuary, helping with tasks such as cleaning, feeding, and maintenance.
Catty Shack Ranch Wildlife Sanctuary is a must-visit destination for anyone interested in learning about big cats and supporting their care and rehabilitation. Whether you're looking to witness a big cat feeding or learn about the daily operations of the sanctuary, Catty Shack Ranch Wildlife Sanctuary is a unique and educational experience that should be noticed.
If you're looking for an action-packed day of fun in Jacksonville, FL, Adventure Landing is the place to be. This family-friendly destination has something for everyone, including go-karts, miniature golf, laser tag, an arcade, and much more. Here are some things you can see and do at Adventure Landing:
- Go-Karts: Adventure Landing has various go-kart tracks catering to all ages and skill levels. You're sure to have a blast speeding around the track.
- Miniature Golf: Adventure Landing's short golf courses offer a fun and challenging experience for all ages. With beautifully landscaped paths and interactive features, you'll feel like you're on a mini-golf adventure.
- Laser Tag: The two-story laser tag arena at Adventure Landing is perfect for groups looking for some friendly competition. With state-of-the-art laser guns and a futuristic environment, you'll feel like you're in an action movie.
- Arcade: The arcade at Adventure Landing has a wide variety of games, from classic arcade games to modern favorites. Whether you're looking to win tickets for prizes or have some fun, the arcade has something for everyone.
Adventure Landing is a must-visit destination for families and anyone looking for fun and excitement in Jacksonville, FL. Whether you're looking to race around the go-kart track or test your skills on the miniature golf course, Adventure Landing has something for everyone. So pack up the family and head to Adventure Landing for unforgettable fun!
Jacksonville Arboretum & Gardens
The Jacksonville Arboretum & Gardens is a peaceful place to enjoy. It is a nature lover's paradise with over 120 acres of trails, gardens, and natural habitats. It is a hidden gem in the heart of Jacksonville, FL.
- Walking Trails: The Jacksonville Arboretum & Gardens has over 3 miles of hiking trails that wind through the forests, meadows, and wetlands. These trails are great for a leisurely stroll, a jog, or a more challenging hike.
- Gardens: The arboretum is home to several beautifully landscaped gardens that feature a variety of native Florida plants and flowers. The parks offer a serene atmosphere. They are the perfect place to relax in nature.
- Wildlife Viewing: The Jacksonville Arboretum & Gardens has diverse wildlife, including birds, reptiles, and mammals. There is a chance to spot some of these fantastic creatures on the trails.
- Educational Programs: The arboretum has a variety of educational programs. These programs are a great way to learn about the local flora and fauna. They work for visitors of all ages, including guided tours, workshops, and classes.
The Jacksonville Arboretum & Gardens is a must-visit destination for anyone looking to connect with nature in Jacksonville, FL. Whether you're interested in hiking the trails, admiring the gardens, or learning more about the local flora and fauna, the Jacksonville Arboretum has something for everyone. So grab your hiking boots and head to the Jacksonville Arboretum & Gardens for a day of outdoor adventure and natural beauty.
It is a charming coastal community located just east of Jacksonville, FL. With its pristine beaches, vibrant nightlife, and family-friendly atmosphere, it's no wonder Atlantic Beach is a popular destination for locals and visitors alike.
Here are things you can see and do in Atlantic Beach:
- Beaches: The main attraction of Atlantic Beach is its beautiful beaches. With soft sand and clear water, these beaches are perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports like surfing and paddleboarding.
- Restaurants and Bars: Atlantic Beach is home to various restaurants and bars that offer delicious cuisine and live music. There's something for everyone, from seafood to sushi to burgers and craft beer.
- Shopping: Atlantic Beach has several unique shops and boutiques that offer everything from beach gear to local art and souvenirs.
- Parks and Recreation: Atlantic Beach has several parks and recreational areas offering hiking, biking, and bird-watching opportunities. Dutton Island Preserve is a popular spot for kayaking and fishing.
Atlantic Beach is a must-visit destination to enjoy the Jacksonville area's sun, sand, and surf. Suppose you want to relax on the beach, explore the local cuisine, or enjoy the area's natural beauty. In that case, Atlantic Beach has something for everyone. So pack your bags and head to Atlantic Beach for a memorable vacation or weekend getaway.
Little Talbot Island State Park
Located just a short drive from Jacksonville, FL, Little Talbot Island State Park is a hidden gem on Florida's northeast coast. This park allows visitors to explore untouched natural habitats and enjoy various outdoor activities.
Here are things you can see and do in Little Talbot Island State Park:
- Beaches: The park features five miles of undeveloped beaches with soft sand and crystal-clear water. It is an excellent place for sunbathing, swimming, and shelling.
- Hiking: The park offers several miles of hiking trails. They wind through various ecosystems, including salt marshes, dunes, and maritime forests.
- Fishing: Little Talbot Island State Park is a popular spot for fishing. You will have opportunities to catch various fish, including redfish, flounder, and trout.
- Camping: The park has campsites available for tent and RV camping. As well as cabins for those who prefer a more comfortable stay.
- Wildlife Viewing: The park has a variety of wildlife. It includes sea turtles, dolphins, and shorebirds. Visitors may also spot deer, raccoons, and other small mammals.
Little Talbot Island State Park is an excellent destination for anyone looking to enjoy the natural beauty of the Jacksonville area. Whether you're interested in camping, hiking, fishing, or just relaxing on the beach, Little Talbot Island State Park has something for everyone. So pack your bags and head to Little Talbot Island State Park for a memorable vacation or weekend getaway.
Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park
It is a 450-acre park located in Jacksonville, FL, and is a popular destination for locals and tourists alike. Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park has activities, making it an excellent spot for family fun, outdoor adventures, and relaxation.
Here are things you can see and do in Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park:
- Beaches: The park has over a mile of pristine beaches. Great place for swimming, sunbathing, and surfing. Visitors can also rent chairs and umbrellas for a relaxing day on the beach.
- Camping: Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park offers camping sites for tents and RVs. The campground has a bathhouse, laundry facilities, and a playground.
- Hiking: The park has over 20 miles of trails. They wind through the forests and along the coastline, providing scenic views and opportunities for wildlife spotting.
- Kayaking: Visitors can rent kayaks. And then explore the park's freshwater lake, where they may spot turtles, alligators, and other wildlife.
- Fishing: The park has several fishing areas, including a 60-acre freshwater lake with catfish, bass, and bluegill.
Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park is a must-visit destination in Jacksonville for anyone who loves the outdoors. Whether you're interested in camping, hiking, fishing, kayaking, or just lounging on the beach, Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park has something for everyone. So pack your bags and head to Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park for a fun-filled adventure in nature.
Tree Hill Nature Center
It is a beautiful natural park in Jacksonville, FL, and a must-visit destination for nature lovers. The park spans over 50 acres of land. It features many habitats, including wetlands, forests, and meadows, all home to various flora and fauna.
Here are things you can see and do at Tree Hill Nature Center:
- Guided Tours: Visitors can join guided tours led by experienced naturalists to learn about the park's unique ecosystem, plants, and animals.
- Hiking: The park has several hiking trails. They allow visitors to explore the area's natural beauty, including the elevated boardwalk trail that takes visitors through a cypress swamp.
- Animal Encounters: Tree Hill Nature Center has a variety of animal exhibits and enclosures that allow visitors to get up close with animals like owls, turtles, snakes, and more.
- Education Programs: The park offers a variety of educational programs for children and adults, including summer camps, field trips, and hands-on workshops.
- Gardening: The park has a community garden where visitors can learn about sustainable gardening practices and rent a plot to grow their produce.
Tree Hill Nature Center is a beautiful natural park that offers visitors a chance to experience the natural beauty of Jacksonville. Whether you're interested in hiking, animal encounters, education programs, or sustainable gardening, Tree Hill Nature Center has something for everyone. So, if you're in the area, visit this fantastic park and enjoy all it has to offer.
Big Talbot Island State Park
It is a hidden gem in Northeast Florida, just a short drive from Jacksonville. The park spans over 2,500 acres of stunning coastal habitat. It features beautiful beaches, salt marshes, and maritime forests, making it the perfect destination for outdoor enthusiasts and nature lovers.
Here are things you can see and do at Big Talbot Island State Park:
- Beaches: The park has two beautiful beaches, Boneyard Beach and Blackrock Beach. Boneyard Beach is famous for its driftwood formations, which create stunning photo opportunities. On the other hand, Blackrock Beach is known for its large rock formations, which visitors can explore and climb.
- Hiking and Biking: The park has several hiking and biking trails. They allow visitors to explore the area's natural beauty, including the 0.9-mile Big Pine Trail and the 2.9-mile Jones Cut Trail.
- Wildlife Viewing: Big Talbot Island State Park has wildlife, including dolphins, sea turtles, and bird species. Visitors can bring binoculars and explore the park's salt marshes, forests, and beaches to catch a glimpse of these fantastic creatures.
- Fishing and Boating: The park's boat ramp provides access to the Nassau Sound and the surrounding waters. They are home to various fish species, including redfish and flounder.
- Camping: The park has several campsites where visitors can experience the area's natural beauty up close. Camps are available for tents, trailers, and RVs.
Big Talbot Island State Park is a peaceful natural park. Visitors have a chance to escape the hustle of the city. And enjoy the natural beauty of Northeast Florida. Whether you're interested in hiking, wildlife viewing, fishing, or camping, Big Talbot Island State Park has something for everyone. So, if you're in the area, visit this fantastic park and enjoy all it has to offer.
The Children's Museum in Jacksonville
The museum is dedicated to a hands-on learning experience for children. That encourages creativity, exploration, and discovery. It is a fun and educational destination for families with young children.
Here are things you can expect to see and do at the Children's Museum in Jacksonville:
- Exhibits: The museum has a variety of shows that encourage children to learn through play. Some exhibitions include a miniature city, a science lab, a health clinic, and a pirate ship.
- Workshops and Programs: The museum offers a variety of workshops and programs for children of all ages. These programs are designed to help children learn about (STEAM), science, technology, engineering, art, and math in a fun and engaging way.
- Outdoor Play Area: The museum's outdoor play area is safe for children to explore and play. The play area includes a climbing structure, swings, and a sand pit.
- Birthday Parties: The Children's Museum in Jacksonville offers birthday party packages that include access to the exhibits, a private party room, and a party host.
- Field Trips: The museum offers field trips for schools and groups. These field trips include access to exhibits and workshops tailored to meet each group's needs.
The Children's Museum in Jacksonville is a fantastic destination for families with young children. Whether you're interested in exhibits, workshops, outdoor play, or birthday parties, the Children's Museum in Jacksonville has something for everyone. So, if you're in the area, visit this fantastic museum and give your child a fun and educational experience they'll always remember.
There is plenty to do in Neptune Beach. It is a charming coastal community located in Jacksonville, Florida. It is known for its wide beaches, vibrant nightlife, and scenic boardwalk.
Here are things you can expect to find in Neptune Beach:
- Beaches: Neptune Beach is renowned for its beautiful beaches. The vast, sandy shoreline is perfect for sunbathing, swimming, and surfing. You can also enjoy beach volleyball, fishing, and boating.
- Boardwalk: The boardwalk in Neptune Beach is a must-see attraction. It stretches for over a mile and offers stunning views of the ocean. You'll find plenty of restaurants, bars, and shops along the path.
- Nightlife: Neptune Beach is known for its vibrant nightlife. Whether you're looking for live music, dancing, or a cozy pub, there's something for everyone. You'll find plenty of bars and restaurants that stay open late.
- Festivals: Neptune Beach hosts several festivals yearly, including the Beaches Art Fest and the Seawalk Music Festival. These events are significant. You can experience the local culture and meet other people.
- Parks: Neptune Beach has several parks perfect for picnicking, playing sports, or enjoying the outdoors. Jarboe Park is a popular destination for families, while Fletcher Park offers stunning ocean views.
Neptune Beach is a fantastic destination. Whether interested in beaches, nightlife, or outdoor activities, Neptune Beach has something for everyone. So, if you're in the area, be sure to visit this fantastic coastal community and experience all that it has to offer.
It is a picturesque island located in the northeastern region of Florida. Amelia Island is a popular destination for tourists and locals with its pristine beaches, charming downtown area, and historic landmarks. Our family loves Amelia Island. Check out My Guide to Amelia Island with Kids.
Here are things you can find on Amelia Island:
- Beaches: Amelia Island is home to several beaches with breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean. They have beaches for a quiet relaxing spot or a place to surf the waves; Amelia Island's beaches have something for everyone.
- Historic Landmarks: Amelia Island has a rich history with many historic landmarks. One of the most famous is the Amelia Island Lighthouse, which has guided sailors since 1838. Other landmarks include Fort Clinch State Park, the Amelia Island Museum of History, and the Old Town Historic District.
- Outdoor Activities: Amelia Island is a paradise for outdoor enthusiasts. The island is home to several parks and nature reserves, including Amelia Island State Park, which offers hiking trails, kayaking, and fishing. You can also enjoy horseback riding, golfing, and tennis.
- Downtown Area: The downtown area of Amelia Island is a charming and quaint place to explore. With its unique shops, art galleries, and restaurants, you can easily spend a day wandering through the streets.
- Events: Amelia Island hosts several events throughout the year, including the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, the Amelia Island Jazz Festival, and the Amelia Island Book Festival
Amelia Island is a fantastic destination for anyone wanting a relaxing beach vacation or an exciting outdoor adventure. Whether you're interested in beaches, history, or outdoor activities, Amelia Island has something for everyone. So, if you're in the area, visit this fantastic island and experience all it has to offer.
Jacksonville Visitor Center
If planning a trip to Jacksonville, FL, you should visit the Jacksonville Visitor Center. Located in the heart of downtown, the visitor center is the perfect starting point for exploring all the city offers.
Here are some things you can see at the Jacksonville Visitor Center:
- Information: The visitor center has information on Jacksonville's top attractions, events, restaurants, and accommodations. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable. And they can provide you with personalized recommendations based on your interests.
- Maps and Brochures: The visitor center has many maps and brochures to help you navigate the city. From detailed city maps to attraction guides, you'll find everything you need to plan your trip.
- Gift Shop: The visitor center also has a gift shop that offers unique souvenirs and gifts that reflect the local culture of Jacksonville. You can find everything from clothes to artwork and locally-made crafts.
- Interactive Exhibits: The visitor center features several interactive exhibits that showcase the city's history and culture. These exhibits are a great way to learn about Jacksonville's past and present.
- Events: The visitor center also hosts several events throughout the year, including art exhibits, book signings, and live music performances. You can experience local culture and meet other people.
The Jacksonville Visitor Center is a must-visit destination for anyone planning a trip to the city. Whether interested in information, maps, souvenirs, or events, the Jacksonville Visitor Center has something for everyone. So, if you're in the area, stop by and start your Jacksonville adventure on the right foot.
St. John's River
It is one of Florida's most essential and scenic waterways, running over 300 miles from its source in Indian River County to the Atlantic Ocean at Jacksonville. It is a popular destination for fishing, boating, and wildlife viewing and is essential to Florida's ecosystem.
Here's what you should know about St. John's River:
- History: The river has a rich history dating back over 500 years, from the native tribes who lived along its banks to the Spanish explorers who navigated its waters. Today, it is a primary shipping channel for cargo and goods and is home to numerous marinas and boat ramps.
- Wildlife: St. John's River is teeming with wildlife, including alligators, manatees, dolphins, and various fish species. It is also home to numerous bird species. It is an excellent destination for bird watchers.
- Activities: There are lots of activities available along St. John's River, including fishing, boating, kayaking, and paddleboarding. The river also has numerous parks and recreation areas along its banks, making it easy to explore and enjoy.
- Scenic Beauty: St. John's River is known for its scenic beauty and stunning views of the river and its surroundings. Many visitors enjoy a boat ride or a scenic drive along its banks. It is a great place to take in the area's natural beauty.
- Environmental Concerns: St. John's River is essential to Florida's ecosystem. There are ongoing efforts to preserve and protect the river and its wildlife. Visitors are encouraged to follow responsible boating and fishing practices to help protect the river's delicate ecosystem.
St. John's River is a beautiful and essential part of Florida's ecosystem. So, if you're planning a trip to Florida, add St. John's River to your itinerary! Whether you're interested in fishing, boating, or just enjoying the scenic beauty, St. John's River has something for everyone.
It is a historic site located in Jacksonville, Florida. The site is a former plantation operated by the Kingsley family in the early 19th century. It is a popular destination and a significant piece of American history. Here are things you should know about Kingsley Plantation:
- Location: Kingsley Plantation is located on Fort George Island, just off the coast of Jacksonville. You can access it by car or public transportation, and ample parking is available.
- History: The plantation was built in 1814 by Zephaniah Kingsley, a wealthy enslaver who believed in the abolition of slavery. He married a formerly enslaved person, Anna Madgigine Jai Kingsley, who he freed and became a business partner on the plantation.
- Tours: Visitors can take guided tours of the plantation, which include the main house, kitchen house, barn, and slave quarters. The tours provide insight into the daily lives of the enslaved people. They lived and worked on the plantation.
- Nature Trails: The site also features several nature trails. They allow visitors to explore the island's unique flora and fauna, including a forest of live oaks over 200 years old.
Kingsley Plantation is a significant piece of American history that allows visitors to learn about people's lives in the 19th century. So, if you're interested in history or nature, add Kingsley Plantation to your Jacksonville itinerary!
It is a historic and charming city in Northeast Florida, known for its rich history, beautiful beaches, and unique attractions. St. Augustine is a popular destination for tourists. It offers a diverse range of activities and experiences. Here are things you should know about St. Augustine:
- History: St. Augustine is the oldest continuously inhabited city in the United States. It was founded by Spanish explorers in 1565. The city's historic district is home to many historic sites. That includes the Castillo de San Marcos. It is the oldest fort in the continental US.
- Attractions: St. Augustine offers diverse interests, from the historic to the modern. Visitors can explore the city's historic district, tour the fort, or visit the St. Augustine Lighthouse and Museum. For those looking for a more modern experience, the city also offers a variety of shops, restaurants, and art galleries.
- Beaches: St. Augustine is home to some of Florida's most beautiful beaches, including St. Augustine Beach and Anastasia State Park. Visitors can enjoy swimming, surfing, fishing, and other beach activities.
- Events: St. Augustine is home to various events throughout the year. Including the annual Nights of Lights celebration during the holiday season, the St. Augustine Celtic Music and Heritage Festival, and the St. Augustine Art and Craft Festival.
- Location: St. Augustine is conveniently located just a short drive from other popular Florida destinations, including Jacksonville and Daytona Beach. It is also easily accessible by air, with several airports within driving distance.
St. Augustine is a beautiful and historic city that offers something for everyone. St. Augustine has something to offer whether you're interested in history, beaches, or events. So, if you're planning a trip to Florida, add St. Augustine to your itinerary!
Fort Caroline National Memorial
It is a beautiful and historic site located in Jacksonville, Florida. It is a must-see destination for those interested in history, nature, and outdoor activities. You should know the following about Fort Caroline National Memorial:
- History: Fort Caroline was the site of a French colony in the 16th century, which was established to compete with Spanish colonies in the area. The fort was named in honor of King Charles IX of France. It was an important site during the French colonization of the southeastern United States.
- Attractions: The Fort Caroline National Memorial offers a variety of attractions for visitors. Visitors can explore the fort's reconstructed buildings, watch films about the history of the fort, and learn about the area's rich history through interactive exhibits.
- Outdoor Activities: The Fort Caroline National Memorial is surrounded by beautiful natural areas, making it an excellent destination for outdoor enthusiasts. Visitors can hike the trails. Fish in the nearby creeks and even take guided tours of the area's natural habitats.
- Location: Fort Caroline National Memorial is just a short drive from downtown Jacksonville, making it easily accessible for visitors. The site is also near other popular attractions, including the Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve and the Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens.
Fort Caroline National Memorial is a must-visit destination for anyone interested in history, nature, and outdoor activities. So, if you're planning a trip to Jacksonville, add Fort Caroline National Memorial to your itinerary!
The Bryan-Gooding Planetarium
It is a state-of-the-art facility located in Jacksonville, Florida. It is one of the largest single-lens planetariums in the United States, with a 60-foot dome that provides visitors with an immersive and awe-inspiring experience. Here are things you should know about the Bryan-Gooding Planetarium:
- Shows: The planetarium offers various shows for visitors of all ages. There is something for everyone, from educational shows about the solar system and the universe to music-themed shows set to laser lights.
- Technology: The Bryan-Gooding Planetarium is equipped with the latest technology to provide visitors with a truly immersive experience. The planetarium features a 4K projector, surround sound, and a 360-degree dome, allowing visitors to feel like they are in space.
- Events: Besides regular shows, the planetarium hosts special events throughout the year. These events include stargazing parties, astronomy lectures, and even yoga sessions.
- Location: The Bryan-Gooding Planetarium is located in downtown Jacksonville's Museum of Science and History (MOSH). This location makes it easily accessible for visitors and allows them to explore other exhibits and attractions within MOSH.
The Bryan-Gooding Planetarium is a must-see destination for anyone interested in space and astronomy. So, if you're planning a trip to Jacksonville, add the Bryan-Gooding Planetarium to your itinerary!
It is a beloved attraction in Jacksonville, Florida, drawing visitors for decades. It is a stunning fountain that opened in 1965 and has been a popular destination for locals and tourists ever since. Here are some things you should know about Friendship Fountain:
- Location: Friendship Fountain is in St. Johns River Park in downtown Jacksonville. There is plenty of parking available. You can get to the park by car or public transportation.
- History: The fountain was built to symbolize friendship between Jacksonville and its sister city, Nurnberg, Germany. It was designed by architect Taylor Hardwick and featured a unique design incorporating water, lights, and music.
- Renovation: The fountain underwent a significant renovation in 2011, which included the installation of new pumps, filters, and lighting. The renovation also made the fountain more energy-efficient and environmentally friendly.
- Events: Friendship Fountain is a popular location for events throughout the year, including weddings, concerts, and festivals. It is also an excellent spot for picnics and family outings.
Friendship Fountain is a must-see attraction in Jacksonville, offering a unique blend of history, beauty, and entertainment. So, if you're planning a trip to Jacksonville, add Friendship Fountain to your itinerary!
Botanical Gardens in Jacksonville
Jacksonville, Florida, has several beautiful botanical gardens that allow visitors to explore various plant collections and natural habitats. Whether you are a nature lover, a plant enthusiast, or simply looking for a peaceful outdoor escape, these gardens offer a variety of attractions and activities to suit your interests. Here are some of the best botanical gardens in Jacksonville, FL:
- Jacksonville Arboretum & Gardens: This 120-acre nature preserve features a variety of habitats, including hardwood forests, wetlands, and meadows. The gardens allow visitors to explore over 3 miles of hiking trails and view a range of native plant species.
- Tree Hill Nature Center: This 50-acre nature center has a variety of plant and animal species, including several endangered species. The gardens feature a butterfly garden, a wildflower meadow, and a nature trail that winds through several habitats.
- Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens: This museum is home to one of the finest art collections in the Southeast, as well as several stunning gardens that feature over 2.5 acres of historic and contemporary gardens. Visitors can view a wide range of plant species and explore the unique architecture and design of the gardens.
- Botanical Gardens at the University of North Florida: These gardens are home to over 4,000 plant species worldwide. The gardens feature several different collections, including a bamboo garden, a palm garden, and a children's garden.
When searching for information about botanical gardens in Jacksonville, FL, here are some tips to keep in mind:
Tips for Botanical Gardens in Jacksonville
- Location: Use location-specific keywords such as "botanical gardens in Jacksonville, FL" or "botanical gardens near me" to help you find the best gardens in your area.
- Features: Identify specific features you are interested in, such as "butterfly gardens in Jacksonville" or "historic gardens in Jacksonville."
- Events: Check for special events or exhibits that may be taking place at the gardens during your visit, such as plant sales, workshops, or educational programs.
- Plan Ahead: Be sure to check the gardens' hours of operation and admission fees. And any special rules or restrictions.
The botanical gardens in Jacksonville, FL, offer visitors a chance to explore the beauty and diversity of plant life in a peaceful and inspiring setting. By following these tips for optimizing your search, you'll be sure to find all the information you need to plan your visit and enjoy all these gardens offer.
Ponte Vedra Beach
It is a charming seaside town. It is located just south of Jacksonville, Florida. Ponte Vedra Beach is known for its beautiful beaches, luxurious resorts, and world-class golf courses. It is a popular vacation destination for visitors from around the world. Here are the top attractions in Ponte Vedra Beach:
- The Beaches: Ponte Vedra Beach is known for its pristine beaches, which offer visitors miles of soft, white sand and crystal-clear water. The beach is also home to several parks and nature preserves, including the Guana Tolomato Matanzas National Estuarine Research Reserve.
- Golf Courses: Ponte Vedra Beach is home to several world-renowned golf courses, including the TPC Sawgrass, which hosts the annual Players Championship. Golf enthusiasts worldwide come to Ponte Vedra Beach to play on these championship courses.
- Resorts and Spas: Ponte Vedra Beach is home to several luxurious resorts and spas, including the Ponte Vedra Inn & Club and the Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa. These resorts offer visitors a chance to relax and unwind in a beautiful seaside setting.
- Shopping and Dining: Ponte Vedra Beach is home to several upscale shopping and dining destinations, including the Ponte Vedra Beach Shopping Center and the Sawgrass Village. Visitors can enjoy a wide range of cuisine, from seafood to fine dining.
Ponte Vedra Beach offers visitors a chance to enjoy some of Florida's best beaches, golf courses, resorts, and dining. Enjoy all that this charming seaside town has to offer.
The Florida Naturalist's Center
It is a unique destination for nature lovers and wildlife enthusiasts in Jacksonville, Florida. The center is dedicated to educating the public about Florida's diverse wildlife and ecosystems through interactive exhibits and educational programs. You need to know the following about the Florida Naturalist's Center:
- Interactive Exhibits: The center features interactive exhibits. They allow visitors to see the flora and fauna of Florida. Visitors can observe live animals such as reptiles, amphibians, and birds of prey up close and learn about their behavior and habitat.
- Education Programs: The Florida Naturalist's Center offers educational programs for children and adults, including summer camps, field trips, and workshops. These programs focus on ecology, conservation, and environmental science. They are designed to promote a deeper understanding of Florida's unique ecosystems.
- Nature Trails: The center is located within the beautiful Tree Hill Nature Center, which features several nature trails through diverse habitats such as wetlands, forests, and meadows. Visitors can explore the trails and observe wildlife in their natural habitat.
- Volunteer Opportunities: The Florida Naturalist's Center offers volunteer opportunities for individuals interested in conservation and environmental education. Volunteers can assist with animal care, exhibit maintenance, and educational programs.
The Florida Naturalist's Center is a must-visit destination for Jacksonville's nature lovers and wildlife enthusiasts. Plan your visit and explore the unique flora and fauna of Florida.
Shipwreck Island Waterpark!
Looking for an exciting way to beat the heat in Jacksonville, FL? Look no further than Shipwreck Island Waterpark! This family-friendly water park has thrilling rides, splash pads, and attractions for all ages.
- Location: Jacksonville Beach, Shipwreck Island Waterpark offers a variety of water rides, including the Pirate's Plunge, the Rage Slide, and the Eye of the Storm. The Pirate's Plunge is a thrilling slide that drops you 35 feet down a steep slope and into a splash pool below. The Rage Slide is another must-try attraction that sends you hurtling down a steep, winding slide. And the Eye of the Storm is a thrilling water vortex that spins you around in circles before dumping you into a pool.
Shipwreck Island Waterpark has you covered with its lazy river and wave pool. Enjoy a float down the lazy river or catch some waves in the wave pool. For younger children, a splash pad and a kiddie pool are filled with interactive water features and smaller slides.
Shipwreck Island Waterpark is also home to several food stands and snack bars, where you can grab a bite to eat between rides. And if you're looking for shade, plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas are scattered throughout the park.
Whether you're looking for heart-pumping thrills or a day of relaxation in the sun, Shipwreck Island Waterpark is an excellent destination for families and friends in Jacksonville.
The Riverside Arts Market
It is a vibrant, open-air marketplace in Jacksonville, FL, celebrating local artists, farmers, and entrepreneurs. This weekly event is held every Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. They are rain or shine and feature over 100 vendors selling everything from fresh produce to handmade crafts.
Located under the Fuller Warren Bridge, the Riverside Arts Market is the perfect place to spend a sunny Saturday morning browsing and shopping for unique and one-of-a-kind items. From paintings and pottery to jewelry and clothing, there is something for everyone at this market.
In addition to the vendors, the Riverside Arts Market also hosts live music, food trucks, and a variety of activities for kids. The market's location along the St. Johns River offers a beautiful backdrop for the festivities and creates a laid-back, community-focused atmosphere.
One of the best things about the Riverside Arts Market is the opportunity to support local businesses and artists. All vendors are from the Jacksonville area, ensuring the money returns to the community. Plus, many items for sale are eco-friendly and sustainable, making it easy to shop with a conscience.
With its lively atmosphere and unique offerings, the Riverside Arts Market is a must-visit destination for locals and visitors alike. Admission to the Riverside Arts Market is free, making it a fun and affordable way to spend a Saturday morning. So come down to the market, grab a coffee or a snack, and discover all that Jacksonville's local talent offers.
Autobahn Indoor Speedway
It is a thrilling go-kart racing destination located in Jacksonville, FL. This indoor facility features state-of-the-art electric go-karts that reach up to 50 mph, making it the perfect place for adrenaline junkies and racing enthusiasts.
With over 80,000 square feet of track, Autobahn Indoor Speedway offers a variety of courses and challenges for racers of all skill levels. There's a track that will suit your needs and provide an exciting experience.
But Autobahn Indoor Speedway is more than just a place to race go-karts. The facility also features an arcade with various games, a snack bar serving delicious food and drinks, and private event spaces for parties, corporate events, and team-building activities.
One of the unique features of Autobahn Indoor Speedway is its use of electric go-karts. These karts are not only environmentally friendly, but they also provide a smoother, more consistent ride than traditional gas-powered karts. Plus, they are equipped with safety features like adjustable seats and seat belts, making it a safe and enjoyable experience for all.
Autobahn Indoor Speedway is open seven days a week. It is a convenient destination for a day out with friends, a family outing, or even a corporate event. And with prices starting at just $19.99 for a single race, it's an affordable way to experience the thrill of high-speed racing.
If you're looking for an exciting, adrenaline-filled adventure in Jacksonville, look no further than Autobahn Indoor Speedway. With its high-tech electric karts, variety of courses, and fun-filled atmosphere, it's the perfect destination for racing enthusiasts of all ages.
Sweet Pete's Candy
Sweet Pete's Candy Shop is a beloved confectionery in Jacksonville, FL, offering a wide range of handmade treats and sweets for kids and adults. They were founded 15 years ago. This candy-making business, Sweet Pete's Candy, has become a go-to destination, especially for people looking for a unique and tasty experience.
The store is in a historic building in the heart of Downtown Jacksonville. It features a charming and whimsical atmosphere, perfect for candy lovers of all ages. The store's walls are lined with jars filled with colorful candies, chocolates, and gummies, and it's not unusual to see customers with huge bags of candy as they browse through the store.
But Sweet Pete's Candy is more than just a candy store. It also offers a variety of fun and educational activities for kids, including candy-making classes, tours, and parties. Kids can learn how to make their own candy creations and even get a behind-the-scenes look at how candy is made at the store's factory.
One of the highlights of Sweet Pete's Candy is its wide variety of treats. From classic favorites like gummy bears and chocolate-covered pretzels to more unique offerings like chocolate-covered bacon and hot pepper jellybeans, this candy store has something for everyone. The store also offers a variety of vegan and gluten-free options.
You can satisfy your sweet tooth, take a fun and educational candy-making class, or experience a charming and whimsical atmosphere; Sweet Pete's Candy is a must-visit destination in Jacksonville, FL. So the next time you're in the area, stop by this beloved confectionery for a treat you will remember.
Pin for Later: Things to Do in Jacksonville Fl with Kids