Filled with Summer Berry Swirl and Chocolate Ice Cream as well as layers of chocolate ice cream sandwiches and pound cake this homemade Ice Cream Cake is so delicious. Combine flavors and make delicious summer treats. It is the ultimate summer dessert combining the best of both worlds: cakes and ice cream. This ice cream cake dessert is definitely one you can’t get enough. Make sure there is space in your freezer!
How to make and Easy Homemade Ice Cream Cake
Ice Cream Cake Recipe
Have you ever made a homemade ice cream cake? I have never really thought of making an ice cream cake until this summer. If you are like me and struggle with picking just one flavor of ice cream this ice cream cake recipe is for you with multiple ice cream layers. You can make an ice cream cake with just 15-20 minutes of prep. You can make it the night before your event which I love so I have one less thing to do the day of.
Ice Cream Cake Ingredients
This no-bake, super simple recipe is made up of four different parts. B and I picked our favorite flavors, but the cool part of this recipe is that there is no right or wrong flavor combination. You can use this recipe with your favorite ice cream and cake flavors.
Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches
The base of your ice cream cake is pre-made chocolate ice cream sandwiches. Simple unwrap them and place them at the bottom of your pan on top of a layer of plastic wrap. Don’t forget the layer of plastic wrap so that it is easy to get the cake out of the pan.
The Ice Cream Layer
We are excited to partner with Mayfield Ice Cream for this ice cream cake! They have a huge selection of products in all types of delicious flavors. I don’t think we have met a flavor we do not like. B joined me at the grocery store, and she kept saying this is my favorite shopping trip ever! For the recipe you can grab one or two of their 48oz cartons. It all depends on the flavor combination you would like for your ice cream layer.
In addition to Chocolate we also bought the Summer Berry Swirl as well as a few Sundae Delights cups in chocolate Fudge to use on top of the Ice Cream Cake. The Sundae delight cups are individually packaged. They are a complete sundae with a layer of ice cream, decadent syrup, whipped cream, and are topped with chocolate chips or candy pieces.
We love Mayfield Ice Cream’s rich and creamy flavors. Mayfield Ice Cream is made with real ingredients. As a mom I am happy to support them because of their commitment to communities and families. Mayfield has a co-op of family-owned farms. The ingredients are all sourced from people we can all trust. They make it easy to “Grab What’s Good” while supporting farmers in our communities!
We found ours at Publix, use this store locator to find Mayfield Ice Cream near you.
There are so many options for the filling for your ice cream cake. Originally, I was going to use crushed cookies and hot fudge. Then when we were at the store, I saw frozen pound cake and thought that would be a great middle layer.
Once the ice cream cake has frozen you can top it with whipped cream. You can make it using heavy whipping cream, or you can use store bought, which is what we did because we wanted to keep this recipe for the ice cream cake super simple.
The final step is the sprinkles of your choice. You could also use candy on top.
How to make an Ice Cream Cake
Another great thing about making an ice cream cake is that there are endless possibilities of the sizes and shapes you can make an ice cream cake into. I wanted to keep mine as simple as possible and our freezer space was limited so I went with a loaf pan. You could also use a cake pan. You will line the pan, with plastic wrap for easy removal.
- Place your ice cream out on the counter for about 15 minutes.
- Line loaf pan with plastic wrap.
- Unwrap the chocolate ice cream sandwiches and place them as your bottom later.
- Then spoon your softened ice cream into prepared pans. Use a spatula to even out the ice cream to create your ice cream layer.
- Add your filling, a thin layer of pound cake
- Then spoon your second flavor of softened ice cream onto the pound cake. Use a spatula to even out the ice cream to create your second ice cream layer.
- Cover with aluminum foil and freeze in the freezer for 8-12 hours.
- One hour before you are ready to assemble the cake, freeze cake plate.
- Unwrap and place on the plate.
- Frost with whipped cream and then add sprinkles.
- Freeze again until completely hardened.
- Cut using a large knife dipped in hot water.
Is Ice Cream Cake Just Ice Cream?
An ice cream cake is a cake made with ice cream. The most popular form is a three-layer cake, with two layers of ice cream between a cookie filling. In a typical assembly, the cake component is baked in the normal way, cut to shape if necessary, and then frozen.
How to Store an Ice Cream Cake
The ice cream cake should be stored covered in the freezer until you are ready to serve and enjoy it. When you are ready to enjoy it transfer the cake into the fridge or counter for 30 minutes. This will allow the ice cream to soften just enough so it is easy to cut into.
Ice Cream Cake Success Tips
Pan to Use
I like to use a loaf pan or a rectangle pan instead of a circle because of the shape of the chocolate sandwiches. If you want to make it into a circle you could use an 8-inch cake pan or a springform cake pans. The springform pan make it easier to keep the ice cream cake in good form.
How to Keep the Ice Cream from Sticking
You can use parchment paper of peal and stick wrap at the bottom of the pan. Make sure that you have extra on the sides so that you have enough out of the pan to be able to grab it once it is frozen.
Does Ice Cream Cake Melt?
Yes, Ice Cream Cakes melt so it is best to leave it in the freezer until you are ready to serve it.
Why You’ll Love This Ice Cream Cake
This recipe is the best because it is super simple.
- Prep only takes about 15 minutes
- The flavor combinations are endless
- Centerpiece for your celebration
- Make ahead of time
Do you know what makes this easy Ice Cream Cake recipe? Ice Cream Sandwiches on the bottom. And store bought pound cake as the middle layer.
Mayfield Ice Cream has lots of delicious flavors that allow you to make lots of flavor combinations.
Flavor Options for Ice Cream Cake
Using different flavors of ice cream, kinds of cookies or fillings can really allow you freedom in creating a unique and super delicious ice cream cake. Here are a few ideas! The sky is really the limit here.
- Chocolate Banana Split: Banana Split ice cream + chocolate ice cream + crushed chocolate cookies + hot fudge filling + slices of bananas.
- Birthday Cake: Birthday cake ice cream + crushed vanilla cake + vanilla icing mixed together
- Blueberry Cream Pie: Blueberry Cream Pie ice cream + vanilla ice cream + crushed graham crackers + blueberries
- Cookie Dough: Double dough ice cream + chocolate ice cream + crushed chocolate chip cookies + hot fudge filling
- Sea Salt Caramel Cheesecake: Sea salt caramel cheesecake ice cream + crushed graham crackers + caramel sauce
- Strawberry Cheesecake: Strawberry Cheesecake ice cream + strawberry ice cream + crushed graham crackers + strawberry jam
- Turtle Tracks: Turtle tracks ice cream + chocolate ice cream + crushed chocolate cookies + caramel sauce
- Cherry Vanilla: Whitehouse Cherry Vanilla ice cream + vanilla cookies + cherry jam
- Triple Chocolate: Smoky Mountain Fudge ice cream + chocolate ice cream + chocolate cookies + hot fudge filling
Try this Homemade Ice Cream Cake Recipe today! It is the perfect dessert for a birthday celebration, an anniversary, Friday night or just because life is short.
Printable recipe card is below as well as a video! Enjoy!
Easy Ice Cream Cake
- Peel and stick wrap
- Loaf pan
- 48- oz Mayfield Chocolate ice cream
- 48- oz Mayfield Summer Berry Swirl ice cream
- 5 chocolate ice cream sandwiches
- 1/3 of a pound cake
- Pre-made whipped cream
- rainbow sprinkles or other decorations as desired.
- Remove ice cream from the freezer and defrost about 15 minutes.
- While ice cream is softening, line loaf pans well with plastic wrap, leaving several inches of overhang.
- Add chocolate ice cream sandwiches to the bottom of the pan.
- Spoon soft ice cream into the pan, pressing down to remove air bubbles as you go. Use a spatula to press down to create your ice cream layer.
- Add a thin slice of the pound cake.
- Spoon soft ice cream into the pan, pressing down to remove air bubbles as you go. Use a spatula to press down to create your ice cream layer. Cover the pan with aluminum foil.
- Freeze for 8-12 hours or until hardened.
- 1 hour before assembling cake, place serving platter into freezer.
- To assemble cake: remove ice cream layers and serving platter from freezer. Spread whipped cream overtop of the entire cake, add sprinkles as desired and freeze until ready to serve.