Sharing 10 easy ways for you to make time for your family. From family walks to fun crafts we want to inspire you to spend more quality time with your family now. It can be as easy as putting down your phone.
Thank you to Doorstep meals for partnering on this post. As always opinions are 100% my own.
2020 has been a challenging year for most. But, there are some silver linings. B was with my best friend the other day and she shared that she enjoyed quarantine because it meant more quality family time. I was on bedrest for the first couple of months of the quarantine and then I had an infant, so my mom guilt had me convinced that I was neglecting her. Now that we are settling into our new standard and my schedule is starting to pick up again, I have started to think about how to spend more quality time with my family.
Today, I have put together 10 easy ideas you can do to make time for your family.
10 Ways to Make Time for your Family
1. Put Your Phone Down
I put this one first because it is my biggest struggle. I don't know why I feel the need to refresh my emails and social media 100 plus times a day. But, I know I need to stop it. B is only 8 and she already calls us out and say please be present and put your phone down. And she is 100% right. I saw a meme the other day that said showing our kids we love them is 5% time and 95% putting our phone down.
2. Have Family Mealtime Together
Our goal is to have dinner as a family at least 5 nights a week if not every night. During the meal we all share our highs and lows. It is a great way to get especially your kids to share what happened during their day. I also ask B who she sat with at lunch since I know the importance of mealtime. If you are like me it feels like this year you have cooked a million meals look into a delivery service like Doorstep Meals for the days you have be short on time, simply don't want to worry about meal prepping or for the entire week to take one thing off your plate.
Doorstep Meals does all the work for you so you can focus on what is most important your family. Things I enjoyed the most about these meals:
- Easy ordering system. Order by Friday at 9pm and your fresh meals ship by Tuesday.
- Variety - they have over 30 healthy options giving you great variety from shrimp and steak to pasta. Some of our favorite include the Backyard BBQ bowl, any dish with the Cowboy butter. My husband is not always a vegetable lover, but the seasoning on all the meals almost tricked him into eating his veggies. And they offer two different size options so you can get the right amount of food for your family.
- Healthy Options - I generally avoid prepared meals because they are filled with preservatives. Doorstep Meals are made fresh by a chef every week. Then they are flash frozen to seal in nutrients. The meals are all doctor designed and have no preservatives.
- Pre-Bio Cookies - OMG these chocolate chip cookies are amazing you would never know that they are all about your gut health. They are gluten free and have no refined sugars or preservatives. They also have 2000mg of prebiotic fibers per cookie.
You can learn more about Doorstep Meals in this video
3. Homework Time
I used to dread homework time, but I am working to reframe it and see it as a time for us to catch up as well as work on schoolwork. Helping kids with their homework also gives you a chance to learn more about their day. I find B will share stories like in science class today we... It has also helped me figure out what she is good at and where she needs extra support. We are here to be advocates for our kids and this helps you to know how you can support them.
4. Exercise Together
We love to take family walks or bike rides. It gives us all a chance to disconnect and enjoy the outdoors together. On rainy days we have found the games like Just Dance or taking a Zumba class online can be a fun way for the entire family to get exercise.
5. Explore your Town
Once a month we try to pick a new place to explore as a family. From parks to beaches there are so many fun options. The adventures make for great family time for everyone, even our puppy for some of them. We often select a park so we can take a family walk making it a win-win.
6. Read Together
When kids are younger it may mean you are reading to them, then they can start to read to you and as they get old you may both be reading different books in the same room.
7. Cook, Bake or Craft Together
Find out what your kids are good at or enjoy and join them in the activity. For us that is cooking (more baking) and doing DIY projects together.
Our kids are watching everything we do. Volunteering is a huge part of my life and this year our daughter has had a front row seat to it all. There are soup kitchens you can volunteer at or things like letter writing campaigns that you can do from home. We recently join a letter writing campaign to patients at our local hospital who are unable to have visitors. ￼
Decorating our home and making fun themed treats and DIYs is one of our favorite ways to spend time as a family or at least as mother-daughter.
10. Fun Family Nights
From board game nights to movie nights there are simple ways to make your family time extra special.