This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertisers. All opinions are mine alone for How to Pack School Lunch. #PackthePerfectLunch #CollectiveBias
I remember when our daughter first went to school. Packing her lunch seemed so overwhelming. I did not even know where to start. From what container to use to what to pack I was clueless. I knew I had to come up with a system that would work for me and for my hubby.
I used to make school lunch in multiple small containers, but then I realized I was washing so many containers and throwing away too many baggies. So I started to pack bento box style lunches. Lunch time is short especially in preschool. So I make it easier for our daughter so she only has to open one container, her snack and her drink. It also gives me flexibility to work with different sized foods. When I originally started this post I saw all these posts with complicated and beautiful, artistic lunches. I started to get excited about making them. Then I realized this was not realistic for daily lunches and while those lunches are amazing they are not necessary. You can make your son or daughter’s lunch special without going overboard. My secret weapons are mini cookie cutters and special notes.
What Products do you Need to Pack School Lunch
- Plastic Container – I use a combo of them everything from a sandwich container to reusable lunch meat containers.
- Silicon baking dishes – I love using the heart shaped ones.
- Mini-cookie cutters
- Protein – For example: a sandwich, lunch meat roll-ups or lunch meat and cheese on a stick. Here is a complete list of recommendations for each category.
- Dairy – yogurt or cheese
- Fruit/Vegetable – Watermelon, apples, grapes, blueberries, carrots, and broccoli.
- Snack – like the Lance 8-count Cracker Varieties
- Drink – I like to mix it up and give B lots of different options including: DASANI, POWERADE or Honest Kids
- Special Note – Free Lunchbox Printable by Happy Family Blog
Video of How to Pack School Lunch
How to Pack School Lunch
- Determine an option for each of the categories above.
- Add your protein to the plastic container mini cookie cutters
- Place two silicon baking dishes in the same container
- Cut your fruit or veggies. I like to cut at least one of them with these mini cookie cutters. It is a simply way to make lunch time even more fun.
- Add the top on the container
- Using washi tape a fix a special note to the lid
- Select a snack and a drink. For some drinks I like to add a straw to the side with washi tape.
Where to Shop for School Lunch
I went to Safeway. This is a great time to stock up. You can save $1.50 on any (1) Lance 8 count and larger sandwich packs when you buy any (2) participating DASANI, POWERADE or Honest Kids multipacks with tear-pad coupon found in-store at the endcap.