This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BakeHolidayGoodness #CollectiveBias Easy and Festive Tres Leches Cake
My brother in law, Javi is from Nicargua so we are lucky to have American and Latin traditions for our holidays. When he first started dating my sister in law he introduced my husband to a whole new culinary world including Tres Leches Cake. It is also know as pastel de tres leches or torta de tres leches, pan tres leches which translates to “three milks bread”. It is a sponge cake soaked in three types of milk including: evaporated milk, condense milk, and heavy cream. NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk is a pantry staple for more than 100 years. It has been helping to make creamy, rich, treasured family favorites for generations. It’s the little difference that makes all the difference. Tres Leches is a very light cake, with many air bubbles. This distinct texture is why it does not have a soggy consistency, despite being soaked in a mixture of three types of milk.
It is so moist and delicious. It has become my husbands favorite dessert. We live in South Florida, just an hour outside of Miami but there is no Tres Leches sold close to our house. When we host my brother in law and his family we like to make them feel extra special and welcome by having food that reminds them of home. It does not hurt that it is also my hubby’s favorite. I am excited to have partnered with Nestle to share how to make an Easy and Festive Tres Leche cake.
What you Need for Tres Leches Cake
- A box French Vanilla cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 & ¼ cups water
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 12 oz can NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 & ¾ cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 bag of NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Holiday Morsels
Instructions for Tres Leches Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9×13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, oil and water with an electric mixer on low speed. Beat until combined (about 2 minutes). Pour the batter into the greased baking dish, and bake for approx. 25-30 minutes. To check to make sure it is cooked insert a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean or with moist crumbs.
- Let cake stand for five minutes then poke holes all over the top with a kebab skewer or fork. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk and ¾th cup heavy whipping cream until combined. Pour the mixture evenly over the top of the cake, trying to fill the holes as much as possible. The milk mixture will pool around the edges of the cake. Immediately place the cake in the fridge to set, at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Once the Tres Leches Cake has set, make your frosting: whip 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, 2 Tbsp of sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla together until thick. Spread over the top of cake.
- Garnish the Tres Leches Cake with NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Holiday Morsels. Nestlé Toll House morsels give you the inspiration and products to express love through baking & baked goods. They are the perfect tool to elevate your holiday baking! We used them to spell out Joy which is our theme for the holiday season. We also made holly so that each piece had some festive decorations. Be sure and keep cake refrigerated, enjoy!
For me dessert is not dessert without chocolate. So we made some NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Holiday Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and added red and green morsels and NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Brownies & More. We love using Nestle products they are so easy to customization to your vision. We love rethinking classics with a twist. There are so many possibilities with chocolate chip cookie dough, you can make treats you never thought possible – especially with all the interesting colors and flavors!
Where to Buy your Ingredients
Looking for More Inspiration?
Celebrate the season with new Nestle recipes, click here to see more. Have you tried Walmart Grocery Pickup yet? Check it out here including $10 refer a friend offer! Don’t forget to follow Nestlé Flavorful Moments Pinterest Board. Looking for more inspiration check out more recipes here including family meals on the go.
Recipe adapted by The Domestic Rebel.
How would you decorate your Tres Leche?